Mentors are childhood cancer survivors who offer their support and time to encourage and cheer on a younger survivor (mentee) through this journey. Participants should not endorse or recommend any physician, medical or non-medical test, procedures, opinions, or in other words give medical advice. The sole purpose of this relationship is to offer encouragement and support through treatment. Under no circumstance should any participant offer any professional, medical or financial assistance from or to each other.
By choosing to participate in The National Children’s Cancer Society’s Mentoring Program, I agree:
- To carefully read the Mentor Handbook.
- To follow all the rules and requirements outlined in the program.
- To be flexible and provide the necessary support to help my mentee succeed.
- To make the commitment during one school year to be a mentor.
- To contact my mentee at least once a week through whatever source of communication we both agree upon.
- That working with my mentee may require some parent input.
- To be on time and consistent with scheduled meetings with mentee. If changes need to be made, give at least 24 hour notice.
- To keep any information that the mentee tells me confidential except if it may cause him/her or others harm.
- That as a mentor I will not discuss or encourage any illegal, immoral or unethical behavior with my mentee and will inform the program coordinator of any behavior or discussion that may be viewed as illegal, immoral or unethical.
- To never discuss the use of alcohol, tobacco or controlled substance with the mentee.
- To inform the program coordinator of any difficulties or concerns that may arise in the relationship.
- That in the event there is a crisis and I feel it is a life-threatening situation: I will follow the procedure outlined in the Mentor Handbook.
- To respond to monthly email check-in by the program coordinator.
- To participate in the closure process when the time comes.
By checking the box below, I acknowledge that I have read the release and fully understand the contents, meaning and impact. I agree to follow all the above stipulations of this program as well as any other conditions as instructed by the Program Coordinator at this time or in the future. (If the participant is a minor (under age 18) the parent or legal guardian must agree to the conditions outlined here).