Gifts That Benefit You

Meet Zack - Cancer warrior

Gifts That Benefit You

Meet Zack - Cancer warrior

If you have appreciated assets and are interested in receiving income and/or tax benefits at the same time, there are a number of options available to you.  Consult your financial advisor or tax expert to determine which giving vehicle would be best to meet your needs.

Gifts of Appreciated Stocks and Investments

Donating appreciated stocks or mutual funds is an easy way to make a non-cash gift now.  A gift of this type can reduce or possibly eliminate federal capital gains taxes on the transfer. You may also be entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction.

The organization’s legal name, address and tax ID number is as follows:

The National Children’s Cancer Society
2900 Frank Scott Parkway West
Suite 928
Belleville, IL 62223
Tax ID Number 37-1227890


Charitable Gift Annuity

A charitable gift annuity (CGA) can provide you with regular payments and allow us to continue helping children and families on your behalf. A CGA offers you the opportunity to:

  • Maintain or increase your income
  • Provide the security of fixed, dependable, income for life that may partially be tax-free
  • Save income or capital gains taxes

If you are at least 65 years of age and would consider a gift amount of $10,000 or more this option could be right for you.


Donor Advised Fund

A donor advised fund (DAF) is like a philanthropic savings account.  It gives you the flexibility to determine how much and how often money is donated to The National Children’s Cancer Society.

A DAF is established with a tax-exempt organization such as a community foundation. Donations made through a DAF provides a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This provides a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location and avoids the costs and complexities of managing a private foundation.

Gifts made through a DAF are anonymous unless you send a Letter of Intent.  Please complete the letter and return to the NCCS so we are aware of your gift – and can thank you for your generosity!

The National Children’s Cancer Society
2900 Frank Scott Parkway West
Suite 928
Belleville, IL 62223
Attn: Mark Stolze​

Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) from a Retirement Account

If you are over 70½ years of age, you may make a gift from your IRA as a tax-free distribution. An amount (up to $100,000 annually) can be transferred from your IRA directly to The National Children’s Cancer Society. The QCD qualifies as part of the required minimum distribution without being considered taxable income. The distribution is also known as an “IRA Charitable Rollover” or “Required Minimum Distribution (RMD).”

Contact your IRA administrator to request a QCD using this sample Letter of Instruction to get started with this type of gift to the NCCS.


Charitable Remainder Trust

If you have built a sizable estate and are looking for ways to receive reliable payments, consider a Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT). This type of gift may offer you tax benefits, the option for income and avoiding upfront capital gains tax. There are two ways to receive payments – an “annuity trust” and a “unitrust.”  Each has its own benefits.

  • An annuity trust pays you the same amount every year. You choose the amount when the trust is established. Payments stay the same, regardless of fluctuations in trust investments.
  • unitrust pays you a variable amount based on a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust assets each year. Payment amounts fluctuate and are determined annually.


Charitable Lead Trust

A donation from a charitable lead trust provides tax savings without relinquishing assets you would like your family to inherit after your passing.

There are two ways that charitable lead trusts make payments to the NCCS:

  • charitable lead annuity trust pays a fixed amount each year to the NCCS and is more attractive when interest rates are low.
  • charitable lead unitrust pays a variable amount each year based on the value of the assets in the trust. With a unitrust, if the trust’s assets go up in value, for example, the payments to the NCCS go up as well.


Please contact Jamie Avalos​ at or 314.446.5221 for inquiries about these type of gifts.